CUPE Local 1978 has between 1,400 and 2,000 members depending on the time of year and represents four bargaining units:
- Capital Regional District
- Island Health (Health Science Professionals at Vancouver Island Health Authority)
- West Shore Parks and Recreation
- Greater Victoria Housing Society
Members work all across the Gulf Islands and the southern end of Vancouver Island.
Bargaining is the Local’s main focus at present. The HSPBA unions (CUPE, BCGEU, HEU and PEA) are in their third round of negotiations with the employers in the Health Employers’ Association of BC (HEABC). Our Local 1978 executive member Angela Wheeler is part of the bargaining committee.
The CRD Bargaining Committee was “at the table” with the CRD and its bargaining agent, the Greater Victoria Labour Relations Association (GVLRA), ten times from March to June. We have another meeting scheduled for September. A summary of the proposals that we summitted is on our bargaining page.
We bargained with the employer at West Shore Parks and Recreation and reached a settlement in October, 2021. Please see our bargaining page for a copy of the new collective agreement.
We we will not accept concessions or two-tier workforces. To do that we will need your support and involvement throughout the bargaining process. Together we win! Are you in? Please contact us to get involved.
You can win a gift card up to $500!
How to Win!
- You must be a member of CUPE 1978 to join the contest.
- Download a copy of the Contest Submission Form, fill in the form electronically (Adobe Reader) and save it, or print it, write in the information and scan it.
- Fill out all sections on the Contest Submission Form; missing information will render your contest submission invalid.
- Email the Contest Submission Form to email@example.com by September 2, 2022.
After the contest closes on September 2, 2022, the winners will be selected randomly for a prize. We will announce the winners at the Annual General Meeting on September 28th, 2022.
Gift Cards to a local grocery store, valued at $25, $50, and $100, with a grand prize of $500.